The most common problem in the workplace is “time poverty.” It’s a term for not having enough time to handle all your work responsibilities.
Putting in a lot of extra hours could help a little, but it’s not the answer. Neither is trying to do two things at once. Some steps that would help:
- Become an expert at what you do. Study the work practices of people who are very efficient and copy them. You will find that they are extremely well organized. Learn from experts in your field.
- Decide what is the most important thing to do. Decide how to do it, then concentrate on that alone until you are finished. No email, phone calls or pleasantries for people who stop by to see you. Tell them you can’t stop now to chat or deal with anything else.
- Be open to new ideas. Consultant Brian Tracy says some overwhelmed people think they already know all they need to know on a subject. Never stop learning.
- Be flexible. Saying “I changed my mind” solves many uncomfortable situations people get into. They stay there because they are unwilling to admit they have changed their minds.
- Face up to mistakes. Saying you made a mistake is a sign of mental maturity, personal strength and individual character.
- Become an expert on time management. Read books, listen to audio programs and take a course. Then practice every day until you master time management skills.
Joe Kern is the Marketing and Customer Care Manager at PagePath Technologies. PagePath was founded in 1983 and is headquartered in Plano, Illinois. PagePath’s MyOrderDesk is an eCommerce solution that combines, Web-to-Print, automated proofing, pricing, reordering and more. It seamlessly integrates into a printing organization’s existing website or can be used as a standalone site. MyOrderDesk is known throughout the printing industry as the leader in Web-to-Print software.